What We Are Focusing on
Shionogi focuses on infectious diseases and psychiatric and neurological disorders as our core therapeutic areas. In addition, we are pursuing new growth areas such as cancer and vaccines. In order to meet medical and social needs, we aim to provide total care for the respective disease, including our core breakthrough drugs as well as prevention and other measures. To this end, while focusing on its strengths in small-molecule drugs, Shionogi is researching to acquire new therapies such as digital medicine, and technologies to help with diagnosis and prevention.
Total Care for Infectious Diseases
Psychiatric disorders and neurological diseases
The problems of mental and neurological disorders vary from patient to patient, and we want to realize a world where we can receive medical services and services according to each patient at the right time. With this in mind, we are working harder on research and development of treatments for psychiatric and neurological disorders.
- Dementia: Dementia patients have various problems due to behavioral and psychological symptoms called BPSD in addition to core symptoms including memory and learning disabilities. Taking the lack of appropriate treatments and diagnostics as an issue, we are promoting the research and development of breakthrough solutions and diagnostics for treatment and prevention with the aim of solving problems.
- Developmental Disorders: The various characteristics of developmental disorders and their mismatches with the living environment cause problems at various life stages and have a wide impact on the quality of life, including not only the person concerned but also the caregiver. We aim to resolve the problems associated with developmental disabilities, including ADHD, which is a developmental disability characterized mainly by inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. We are working on the development of new treatment options that include not only pharmacotherapy but also non-pharmacological therapies such as digital therapy.
- Psychiatric illness: The symptoms associated with psychiatric illness are diverse even in the same illness, and there are various causes of QOL decline for patients. In addition, many of the causes and mechanisms of symptoms associated with mental illness have not yet been elucidated. Through elucidation of the intracerebral mechanism behind the symptoms of mental illness, we are working on research and development of optimal therapeutic agents and treatment methods according to the symptoms that cause the patient's troubles.
- Pain: It has been suggested that pain is strongly associated not only with the patient's physical distress, but also with a marked decrease in quality of life and presentism. We are working on research to create pain treatment drugs that have a strong analgesic effect without fear of side effects. In addition, we will contribute to patients and healthcare professionals by promoting information provision and diagnostic method research and development that will lead to the proper use of analgesics.
New growth areas
- Cancer: Cancer is the leading cause of death in many countries and is a serious life and health issue. It often causes anxiety not only for the patient, but also for their family members and acquaintances. In addition, its long-term treatment sometimes leads to employment problems. In recent years, immune checkpoint inhibitors have significantly changed the treatment of cancer, and the potential of the immune response to tumors has been gaining attention. We are committed to providing a variety of treatment options by developing diverse and unique immuno-oncology assets with different mechanisms of action.
- Vaccine: With the prolonged outbreak of COVID-19, it is desirable to provide an effective and safe domestic vaccine as soon as possible. We are doing our best to provide safe and reliable vaccines as soon as possible by using recombinant protein vaccine technology. We are also working to create intranasal vaccines that can prevent infection by inducing mucosal immunity, and to respond to new pandemics by developing universal antigen design technology. We will take on the challenge of creating vaccines that will free people from the threat of infectious diseases from a variety of perspectives.