Diversity and inclusion
Message from Top Management
Promoting the empowerment of women
Creating a supportive workplace for people with disabilities
- Fulfilling corporate social responsibility
- Progressing with the adaptation of workplaces so that people with and without disabilities can work vigorously
Establishment of Shionogi Smile Heart Co., Ltd.
The mission of Shionogi Smile Heart Co., Ltd. (* certified as a special subsidiary company in July 2018) is to hire and develop people with intellectual disabilities and allow them to become part of the company. Based on reasonable consideration for the characteristics of disabilities, the company aims to keep on growing slowly and operating its business at its own pace.
Meanwhile, under its independent corporate plan, it works to improve work quality and services and operate its business efficiently with a focus on cost saving. As a company that plays a part in promoting the CSR activities of the Shionogi Group, it will push forward with its business.
Operations and efforts of Shionogi Smile Heart Co., Ltd.
1. Creating routine tasks and working conditions suitable to the skills of people with intellectual disabilities
- Provision of manualized and standardized office cleaning services
- Provision of uniform laundry services that take advantage of dedicated facilities with aggregated functions
2. Creating a training system and a work environment for education and training in which people with intellectual disabilities can concentrate on acquiring skills necessary for tasks
- Education, task design, and escort-type support provided by dedicated supervisors according to the ability, characteristics, and understanding level of individual people with intellectual disabilities
- Improvement of the training environment
3. Creating a stable employment system that adopts unique company systems suitable for people with intellectual disabilities
- Original work rules suitable for the continuous employment of people with intellectual disabilities
- Maintenance of motivation and human resource development through appropriate assessment and feedback
Awards for Diversity
New Diversity Management Selection 100
Shionogi has rolled out initiatives to support employee career development and to promote female advancement in the Human Health Care Division. The thinking behind these and other initiatives is that supporting diverse human resources to develop their strengths will not only lead to personal growth but will also contribute to the growth of the organization. These efforts were recognized when Shionogi was selected for inclusion in the fiscal 2015 New Diversity Management Selection 100 project.
Leading Company for Women’s Advancement in Osaka City
As a company that takes active measures to create a supportive work environment for women, Shionogi was certified in fiscal 2015 as a leading company for women’s advancement in Osaka City.
Shionogi has three times been awarded the Japanese Minister of Labour, Health and Welfare’s Kurumin Mark, which recognizes it as a company that supports child-rearing.
‘Eruboshi’ Grade 3 award and certification as an outstanding equal opportunities employer
Shionogi Techno Advance Research, a Shionogi domestic Group company where around half of employees are women, aims to realize a work environment where women can continue energetically pursuing their career while coping with life’s milestones such as pregnancy, childbirth, child-rearing, and taking on career responsibilities. As part of these efforts — partly in response to a survey of workplace morale in fiscal 2016 — the company was inspired to set up a Women’s Advancement Promotion WT, whose activities are led by employees. In December 2017, the company received Grade 3, the highest rating, in the ‘Eruboshi’ awards, which were set up under Japanese legislation for female empowerment. In May 2018, it was designated by Osaka Prefecture as an outstanding equal opportunities employer.